[Samba] Problems with CUPS and a networked epson printer

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jun 14 13:17:02 GMT 2002

I wrote:

> I tried to install the drivers on the server, following exactly the
> instructions in htmldocs/printer_driver2.html and "Setting drivers for
> existing printers". It _seemed_ to work, but when all the files had been
> copied to [print$], an error message said something like "It was
> impossible to switch to the new configuration. The original
> configuration is restored".

For completeness, I wanted to add my smb.conf, and looking closer at it
I found the reason:

[printers]
use client driver = yes

I had put that there months ago after unsuccesful experiments with
server-stored drivers, as an attempt to get back. No I've deleted this
entry, and the driver installation worked (though it brought the client
that I used for this to a _very_ busy state. It took minutes until it
shut down, but this seems to be a problem of this particular client. But
also on a different client: The bidirectional checkbox is unchecked both
in Start-Settings-Printers-Properties of Epson880 and in Network
Neighborhood-sugar-Printers-Properties of Epson880. However, the
communication error message is still displayed, and it doesn't
print. And everything gets very slow once this printer has been
"touched" after a reboot.

Well, know in the end my smb.conf (without the file shares):

[global]
workgroup = seckler
domain logons = yes
server string = sugar
logon home =
logon path =
logon script = %U.bat
domain admin group = @wsadmin root
printer admin = @wsadmin

add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --conf /etc/adduser.smbmachine.conf --home /dev/null --no-create-home --gecos "Machine Trust Account" --disabled-password --force-badname %u

#printing
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

# security
security = user
guest account = nobody
encrypt passwords = yes
include = /etc/samba/hosts_allow
# this file consists of a list of IP-adresses separated by ', \ NEWLINE'

# browsing
os level = 64
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
remote announce = 141.89.201.255

# wins-support:
wins support = yes
name resolve order = lmhosts wins hosts bcast

debug level = 3
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0

# compatibility
client code page = 850
character set = ISO8859-1

[netlogon]
path = /var/export/smblogon
guest ok = no
writeable = no

[print$]
path = /usr/local/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
write list = @wsadmin,root

[printers]
printable = yes
browseable = yes
path = /var/spool/samba/print
guest ok = no
writeable = no
create mode = 0766

bye, Frank
--
Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49-331-977-5244		Fax: +49-331-977-5062