[Samba] Samba and NetBios

Solanky, Prayer S. psolanky at ws.k12.ny.us
Fri Jun 14 10:15:02 GMT 2002

Howdy.  I am putting in two new file servers over the summer which I would like to run Linux.  Ideally these servers would be running Samba to share out home directories.  It will be a member of a domain.  I have a test server, linux-01, which I have joined to the domain and have some shares setup.  Here is my problem.

All our clients are running Windows 2000 Professional.  We have turned off NetBIOS on all of them!  So when I go to browse \\linux-01 <file://linux-01/>  it can't find the server put it can ping it.  When I enable NetBIOS on one of the clients, I can then see the share on linux-01.

I'd like to leave NetBIOS turned off on the machines.  Is it possible to run Samba in a configuration where NetBIOS is disabled on the clients?

Thanks,
Prayer

Prayer S. Solanky
Network Administrator for Washingtonville Schools
54 West Main Street
Washingtonville, NY 10992
Voice: 845.497.2200 x2356   Fax: 845.497.5069
psolanky at ws.k12.ny.us
http://www.ws.k12.ny.us