[Samba] Problems with CUPS and a networked epson printer

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Fri Jun 14 08:28:02 GMT 2002

disable bidirectional printing on the
(windows) printer's Port properties.
Since the Epson isn't connected to
LPT1, the status monitor
can't talk to the printer...

Jim

intserver. I used to run lprng on the samba server
> (which is a domain controller), and the Windows clients had one minor
> problem accessing this printer via Samba (2.2.3a, then): Every time a
> client wanted to print, the Epson status monitor on the client would
> complain about communication problems with the printer. However, when
> one just acknowledged this message, the printer printed.
>
> Now I switched to CUPS (and Sa
> mba 2.2.4), because I think this method is
> far more advanced, and
it is more convenient for inexperienced users
> that have to manage jobs and printers. All is well with the networked
> laser printers, however, this one inkjet printer fails to
> print at all.
>
> Printing from the server or a linux client running its own
> CUPS is fine.
>
> When I try to print from any windows client, the status
> monitor comes up
> and obviously waits long for something until it finally times out and
> says:
>
> | Communication Error:
>

> | Check all connection
s and make sure all devices are on...

> In the logfile for the respective client, the following
> messages appear:
>
> [2002/06/14 16:02:41, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(329)
>   Allowed connection from  (141.89.201.37)
> [2002/06/14 16:12:20, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_job_submit(655)
>   Unable to print file to eps880 -
> client-error-document-format-not-supported
> [2002/06/14 16:12:45, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(461)
>   Closing connections
> [2002/06/14 16:14:40, 2] lib/acces
s.c
> :check_access(329)
>   Allowed connection from  (141.89.201.37)
>
> This is debug level 2, on level 3 it's much more verbose - I think I
> shouldn't send all this stuff to a whole mailing list, and I don't see
> what's the relevant part of it. The printer drivers are stored and
> installed locally, not on the server.
>

> How could I resolve or further debug this problem? Would switching to
> server-stored drivers or a different printer (we do have some
> HP Deskjet
> and some other
Epson Stylus here).