[Samba] Problems with CUPS and a networked epson printer

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Jun 14 07:50:02 GMT 2002

I have an Epson Stylus Color 880, connected to our network via an
external ethernet printserver. I used to run lprng on the samba server
(which is a domain controller), and the Windows clients had one minor
problem accessing this printer via Samba (2.2.3a, then): Every time a
client wanted to print, the Epson status monitor on the client would
complain about communication problems with the printer. However, when
one just acknowledged this message, the printer printed.

Now I switched to CUPS (and Samba 2.2.4), because I think this method is
far more advanced, and it is more convenient for inexperienced users
that have to manage jobs and printers. All is well with the networked
laser printers, however, this one inkjet printer fails to print at all.

Printing from the server or a linux client running its own CUPS is fine.

When I try to print from any windows client, the status monitor comes up
and obviously waits long for something until it finally times out and
says:

| Communication Error:
|
| Check all connections and make sure all devices are on...

In the logfile for the respective client, the following messages appear:

[2002/06/14 16:02:41, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(329)
  Allowed connection from  (141.89.201.37)
[2002/06/14 16:12:20, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_job_submit(655)
  Unable to print file to eps880 - client-error-document-format-not-supported
[2002/06/14 16:12:45, 2] smbd/server.c:exit_server(461)
  Closing connections
[2002/06/14 16:14:40, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(329)
  Allowed connection from  (141.89.201.37)

This is debug level 2, on level 3 it's much more verbose - I think I
shouldn't send all this stuff to a whole mailing list, and I don't see
what's the relevant part of it. The printer drivers are stored and
installed locally, not on the server.

How could I resolve or further debug this problem? Would switching to
server-stored drivers or a different printer (we do have some HP Deskjet
and some other Epson Stylus here).

TIA, Frank
--
Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49-331-977-5244		Fax: +49-331-977-5062