[Samba] Samba: bug in smbstatus with force group parameter?

werner maes werner.maes at cc.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Jun 14 06:39:02 GMT 2002

Hello,

When I use the share option "force group = +admin", I would assume that
only users who are already part of this "admin" group will have this group
assigned to them when they're accessing the file share. When I make a
connection with a user who's not part of the "admin" group, smbstatus
displays the wrong gid. If I create a file, the file has the correct gid.

So, smbstatus displays a different gid than the one actually used.

My test configuration:

I have a local group "admin" with one user on the file server.
/etc/group
admin:x:500:werner

Another user "m2000" is not part of the admin group.

[root at ldapfileserver samba]# id m2000
uid=149058(m2000) gid=1000 groups=1000

Configuration of the file service:

[fs]
         path = /home/fs
         write list = @admin
         force group = +admin

Output of smbstatus
[root at ldapfileserver etc]# smbstatus
INFO: Debug class all level = 2   (pid 1320 from pid 1320)

Samba version 2.2.4
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
fs           m2000 admin     1319   fileserver (v.w.x.y) Fri Jun 14
12:38:55 2002

I would assume a gid = 1000 for the m2000 user instead of "admin" because
the "m2000" user is not part of the "admin" group. And indeed, if you
create a file with this user, the file has the correct gid of "1000" and
not "admin".

Werner

Any ideas?

Werner