[Samba] Slow response from new Athlon 1.4Ghz machine?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Jun 14 05:21:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Darryl Harvey wrote:

> Why would the newer machine be slower ??  I am at a loss.  I suspect the
> SCSI drive, but cannot explain why..   Anyone got any methods or ways I can
> find out what is slowing it down?

Run a benchmark on the systems and compare disk performance ("bonnie" is
one).

If it's a lot slower it is probably a misconfiguration and not that the
hardware is slower. So verify that the new machine doesn't try to lookup
names that doesn't exist or something like that (enabling nis in
nsswitch.conf but not having a NIS system).

tcpdump/ethereal can be used to see what is being sent on the network for
the 6.2 and 7.3 machines.

An other common misconfiguration is having mixes of full and half duplex
on the network cards. Verify the network speeds with something not related
to smb (ftp or a "real" networking benchmark like netperf).

/Urban