[Samba] RE: 2.2.x Printing from Win2k-more clues

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Thu Jun 13 10:38:19 GMT 2002

If you have a [print$] section in your
smb.conf, try adding guest ok=yes
and see if that fixes the access problem.
It did for me, yesterday.  I had a problem
where every time I tried to get the printer
properties, either my Win2k spool service or
explorer.exe would crash...others have
noted this entry created/fixed problems
lately.

Maybe-do you have a Unix user that the win2k user can be mapped to
in /etc/samba/smbusers?  If not, create an account on the Unix box
and map that to your win2k user.

Do you have "Map to Guest=Bad User" and "guest account=nobody"
in smb.conf?  I actually have "guest account=smb_nobody".  I
created a Unix user named "smb_nobody", with no login allowed
and no home dir.  When I look in my samba logs, smb_nobody shows
up making connections.  If "allow guest=no", then maybe the
initial IPC$ connection to the printer fails, and your regular user's
connection can't follow.  Just a guess on my part...
You can set the "log level=3" or higher.  Clear the log dir
(rm /var/log/samba/log.*), restart samba, then try to print.
Look in the log dir, and read through the logs to see if anything
shows up about access denied, failures, etc.  That might point
you in a clearer direction.  If/once everything is working, set the
log level back to 1.

Jim