[Samba] syncing unix passwords

Paul Crittenden crittend at storm.simpson.edu
Thu Jun 13 10:35:19 GMT 2002

I give up. I had this working and now it isn't and I don't know why. I was
able to sync unix password using smbpasswd but now it won't work. When I
run smbpasswd it changes the samba password but acts like it doesn't even
see the parameters in the smb.conf to change the unix password.

Here is a sample changing session:

as400:# ./smbpasswd xxxxxx
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user xxxxxx.
as400:#

When it worked there was a second Password changed for user xxxxxx

Nothing is logged in any logs so I can't tell what is going on. Here is my
smb.conf. Any help would be appreciated.

# Global parameters
[global]
         interfaces = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/255.255.255.0
         security = SHARE
         encrypt passwords = yes
         unix password sync = yes
         passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat debug = yes
         passwd chat = *New* %n\n *Retype* %n\n
         password level = 8
         log file = /usr/local/samba/logs/log.%m
         max log size = 500
         time server = Yes
         printcap name = /etc/printcap
         guest account = guest
         invalid users = root
         hosts allow = xxx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0
         printing = bsd

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         read only = No