[Samba] Error: Failed to initialise locking database

Ryan L. Hackl r.hackl at sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 12 18:09:02 GMT 2002

Greetings!

After successfully setting up the printer using my RedHat Linux 7.2 (using command-line interface), and after installing my ethernet card (again, using command-line interface), I've tried to setup my linux server to share the printer with Windows-based machines.

I thought I pretty much did everything right, but when I type a "smbstatus", I get the following:
>Samba version 2.2.1a
>Service      uid     gid     pid     machine
>Failed to open byte range locking database
>ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
>Can't initialise locking module - exiting

Where can I look (I assume in the smb.conf file) to find out where the problem may be?

Thanks for any help you can offer to this question.  Not even a search on google produced much help...

- Ryan