[Samba] WIndows 98 asking for a password

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Wed Jun 12 13:12:02 GMT 2002

Hello:

I have a brother HL-1440 laser printer set-up and working fine on my
RedHat 7.3 Linux box.  The printer queue is named brotherLaser.

I added a samba share for the printer with these options
in my smb.conf file:
[brotherLaser]
        path = /var/spool/lpd/brotherLaser
        writable = yes
        comment = Brother Laser Printer
        printable = yes
        public = yes

I then went to a windows 98 machine and tried to set-up a
network printer with the path \\192.168.1.1\brotherLaser

I installed the driver from the cdrom that came with the printer
and everything seemed to work just fine.

But, when I look at the printer, it says that it is offline.
When I try to connect to it, it asks me for a password.
No matter what I enter, it says the password is not correct.

I have samba set to allow for null passwords and the printer
is public, so anyone on the network should be able to
print to it without a password, correct?

Here is my global tag:
[global]
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        pam password change = yes
        printing = lprng
        dns proxy = no
        null passwords = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        debug level = 10
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        security = user
        unix password sync = Yes
        server string = Samba Server
        workgroup = MYGROUP