[Samba] File Locking

Nate Perry-Thistle nperry-thistle at tristream.com
Wed Jun 12 08:35:04 GMT 2002

Hi James,

I solved this type of problem by creating a user to own the
Quick Books files, made the users who needed access to those
files members of that group, and made a specific share for those files
owned and writable by my Quick Books user/group.  Ask Samba to 'force
group' and it works great.

/etc/passwd:
quicken:x:512:512:Quicken Access:/home/quicken:/bin/false

/etc/group:
quicken:x:512:user1,user2,user3

/etc/samba/smb.conf:
[Quickbooks]
   comment = Quickbooks
   path = /work/Quickbooks
   public = Yes
   writable = Yes
   printable = No
   write list = @quicken
   force group = +quicken

Permissions of /work/Quickbooks:
drwxrwx--x   10 quicken  quicken      4096 Jun 11 16:57 Quickbooks

n.