[Samba] Possible Samba Bug

Kremlyn Vostok kremlyn at mbox.com.au
Tue Jun 11 23:36:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone,

I believe I may have stumbled on a bug (or quirk), in relation to
accessing files (specifically, mp3's) on a share.  The issue is
outlined below:

- THE PROBLEM

I'm able to successfully map a network drive in 'My Computer' to the
share, logging in as mp3_owner (which is the owner of the shared
directory and all subdirectories and files, and is also a member of the
mp3 group).  I can play these mp3's accross the network, delete them,
move them around, copy other mp3's to those directories from another
machine.. but I cannot for the life of me *rename* them!  I've tried
all sorts of permission configurations, including using the *guest*
user (nobody), with no luck.

Now, the REAL quirk here, is that the only files that exhibit this
behaviour is mp3's.  I can create .txt .doc files, and do all of the
above AND rename them.  However, I still cannot *rename* the mp3's.

I've successfully set up samba before, and had it working without this
little oddity.  This is driving me MAD.

Below, is information pertinent to this configuration and problem.

- Server Operating System:

[root at molotov -> (/)] : uname -a
OpenBSD molotov.kgb.cccp 3.1 GENERIC#59 i386

- Client Operating System:

Microsoft Windows 2000, Professional - Service Pack 2

- Samba Version:

2.2.3a (Installed via package, from ftp.openbsd.org)

- smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = SOYUZ
        netbios name = MOLOTOV
        server string = samba server (molotov)
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        veto oplock files = /*.mp3/

[mp3]
        comment = mp3 files
        path = /share/mp3
        valid users = @mp3
        write list = mp3_owner
        read only = No

- Directory permissions (as implemented on the UNIX server system)

[root at molotov -> (/share)] : ls -al
drwxrwxrwx  135 mp3_owner  mp3    3584 Jun 13 00:00 mp3

Note: These permissions are the same for all subdirectories and mp3
files.

- 'smbstatus' output

Samba version 2.2.3a
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
mp3          mp3_owner mp3_owner 19851   balbir   (10.20.30.4)

No locked files

Any help would be TOTALLY appreciated.

//kremlyn

"Physics tells us that for every action, there must be an equal and
opposite reaction. BSD people hate Linux people, and they hate us back.
So, here we are, victims of mathematical science." - Kremlyn Vostok