[Samba] problem copying ACLs with xcopy /o (2.2.5pre1)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 11 15:48:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 11:53:11AM +0200, Guenther Deschner wrote:

> i want to copy a folder (including ACLs) right off from my desktop
> onto the samba-server. my smbd retrieves user/group info via winbindd.
>
> the folder in question ("testfolder") is owned by administrator and
> has ACLs for the domain-admins and everyone. inside this folder there is
> one file called "testtxt.txt" which is nonempty.
>
> i map a samba-share to the letter t: and
> "xcopy testfolder t:\testfolder /o".
>
> now the funny thing: i get "access denied" after doing this but on the
> samba-share i do see the folder and the file (both with correct ACLs + my
> set of DACLs). big surprise: my file is empty now :(
>
> log level 10 attached.

It's the mapping to the owner that is failing. There is a compile
switch in Samba which causes smbd to force unknown owner and group
SIDs to the currently connected user and group.

I may make this a compile time switch to allow this problem to
be worked around until we can deal with "foreign" SIDs on a UNIX
filesystem.

Jeremy.