[Samba] printer drivers

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Tue Jun 11 08:29:02 GMT 2002

I think I've lost the big picture...time to
step back and look at what you're trying
(and unable) to do.

1.  Is \\server\Printer being added to
the clients as a Network or Local Printer?

2.  If Network, are you trying to install
the printer drivers from the server?

3.  Are you a member of the Linux admins
group?

4.  Did you delete the default printer
apps on the Linux box, and create symlinks
to the cups equivalents? (e.g. lpr, lprm, lpd, lpq)
(This has bitten me on OpenBSD upgrades;  the
upgrade overwrites the symlinks with executables,
and I have to go back and redo the LPRng symlinks)

5.  Re-read the doc's and HOW-TOs for printing
setup-a lot has changed in 2.2.x...maybe something
will pop up that you missed.

6.  If you're not interested in the spoolss support,
or it gives you more pain than pleasure (my case!!!)
use "disable spoolss=yes" and "use printer driver=no"
in smb.conf's [Global], remove all connections to
\\server\Printer in your workstations' Printers and
the Registry.  Then re-install \\server\Printer as
a Network Printer, and the Port it attaches to should
show up listed in the Properties as a LAN Manager
Printer Port.  This is the pre-spoolss type of printer
connection, and I think the easier to set up/manage.

7.  Linux prints via cups, and you can see the share-
you're almost there...

Good luck!
Jim