[Samba] samba performance issue

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Tue Jun 11 07:53:08 GMT 2002

Very strange,

   Feel not alone, however - I too have some performance concerns :

   A Samba 2.0.8 Slackware 7 Machine was working fine for nigh on a year,
and then it started to degrade, to the point where an app that used network
database which used to come up almost instantaneously started taking 5
seconds.  Annoying, as the customer had got used to the speed.  Also on a
100Mb Switch, with only 6 client machines.

   As a last effort we upgraded to 2.2.4 and it felt much faster, however,
I did some testing before and after the upgrade :

   Before the upgrade, a file transfer from a client (50MB random data) was
taking 50 Seconds and not utilising all the bandwidth.
   Before the upgrade, a file transfer to a client (50MB random data) was
taking 100 Seconds and not utilising all the bandwidth.
   After the upgrade, a file transfer from a client (50MB random data) was
taking 25 Seconds and not utilising all the bandwidth.
   After the upgrade, a file transfer to a client (50MB random data) was
taking 50 Seconds and not utilising all the bandwidth.
   Before and after the upgrade, and ftp transfer of the same file took 20
seconds either way.

   This really got me stumped, but as the speed was near normal again, I
have left the site, but would like to know if this double time transfers is
usual or if there is anything we can do to find out why.

Martyn