[Samba] Asking for Password

Alex Meaden alex at meaden.net
Mon Jun 10 16:07:47 GMT 2002

>Please forgive me but I am pretty new to Linux.   I have Samba set up on a
Server and when I go to access it from a >windows workstation one, a box
pops up with the resourse as \\servername\IPC$ asking for a password. I have
the >right domain and my username is the same as my windows password?
>Why would I be getting these messages?    What am I doing wrong?

You need to configure the Samba server to authenticate users against the
domain's PDC. Read this document for details:
http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/DOMAIN_MEMBER.html

Hope this helps,

Alex.
---