[Samba] printer drivers

Alex Meaden alex at meaden.net
Mon Jun 10 13:41:02 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Brosius" <mark at mebrosius.com>
To: "Alex Meaden" <alex at meaden.net>
Cc: "Bradley W. Langhorst" <brad at langhorst.com>; <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2002 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] printer drivers

> I'm having a problem getting my HP 722c printer working from my Win98
> client.  Would you be willing to copy and paste your smb.conf file here so
> I can see where I am making my mistake?  Thanks.

Here's the global and printers sections from my smb.conf:

[global]
 netbios name = MARS
 workgroup = GALAXY
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 printcap name = lpstat
 dns proxy = No
 printing = cups
 utmp = true
 status = yes
 security = user
 domain logons = yes
 os level = 65
 domain admin group = @adm
 nt acl support = no

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 create mask = 0700
 guest ok = Yes
 printable = Yes
 print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side printer
drivers.
 lpq command = lpstat -o %p
 lprm command = cancel %p-%j
 browseable = No

I am using CUPS which seems to greatly simplify printer management. Note
that the share for the printer should not have any drivers installed on the
server side - select "generic" printer. You should install the drivers under
Windows, which will format the output and send it to Samba, which will pass
it to the printer.

Alex.

--
Mr Alex Meaden