[Samba] Question about username maps in Samba

Statts, Pearce (IndSys, GEFanuc, NA) Pearce.Statts at gefanuc.com
Mon Jun 10 13:25:02 GMT 2002

I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution for this interesting problem I've
run across....

I work within a multi-Unix environment.  We've got HP-UX, Solaris, Linux,
and Tru64 (!) here.  Because of this, some of our users have multiple
logins, so that they can have multiple user environments for the product
development scripts that they run.  One of our Sun boxes serves as our Samba
fileserver.  One of our users is having trouble because he has two Unix
logins, and Samba is only allowing access to directories that belong to one.
I tried setting the username map to include aliases for both of his Unix
accounts, but this was not successful in solving the problem.  Basically,
rather than mapping one Unix account to one or more NT accounts, I need the
username map to be able to map one NT account to two Unix accounts, which is
sort of the reverse of how the option currently works within Samba.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a workaround for this problem?  I've
been brainstorming all day looking for a solution, possibly involving
creating a custom group for this user, etc., but I haven't been able to come
up with something that's simple and elegant, which is what I'd like.

Any advice anyone wants to lend would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Pearce Statts
GE Fanuc Automation IT
pearce.statts at gefanuc.com