[Samba] smbwrapper or smbmount ?

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Mon Jun 10 12:42:01 GMT 2002

> The O'Reilly "Using Samba" book, recommend not to include smbmount
> support as it is for Linux only:
>
> "This feature wasn't being maintained at the time the book was
> written, so the Samba team made it an optional feature and provided
> smbwrapper instead. The smbwrapper feature works on more Unix
> platforms than smbmount, so you'll usually want to use
> --with-smbwrapper instead of this option"
>
> Is it still true ?

No.  smbmount and the smbfs filesystem are being maintained (albeit
for Linux only, AFAIK), and work pretty well on Linux.  Actually,
smbwrapper now *doesn't* work on Linux.  (The first edition of
Using Samba is _slightly_ out of date. ;-)

Support for smbfs should be included in your Linux kernel. I expect
that all distributions include it nowadays.  (Someone please tell
me if this is wrong.)

You need to install Samba, compiled with the --with-smbmount option
to the configure program. Make sure you have a correct smb.conf
file for Samba after installation.