[Samba] printer drivers

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Mon Jun 10 11:48:25 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 14:35, Alex Meaden wrote:
> In order for Windows clients to automagically download printer drivers for
> network printers, I have to put the drivers in a share called print$. What
> files exactly should I put here - should it be an .inf file and related
> files for each printer? Should each different printer's driver be in a
> seperate subdirectory? What about for different client OSes? The printers
> are an HP DeskJet 720C, and HP DeskJet
> 850C, a Brother HL-1250 laser, and a Panasonic KXP-1124 dot matrix. Client
> machines are running Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, Windows 98, and
> Windows NT4 Workstation.

you've got the wrong idea  (i had the same wrong idea so don't feel bad)

after you create the print$ share you create the
WIN40 and W32X86 folders in there

then you have to use an NT4 box to upload the drivers - it will
make the subdirectories and put the right files in the right spots.

make sure you haven't disabled spoolss since you need that to do the
uploading (i think)

to do the upload just browse to the printers and faxes folder on
your server and follow the howto collection...

brad