[Samba] smbwrapper or smbmount ?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Jun 10 11:39:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, LAUTIER Sabrina wrote:

> Is it still true ?
> What do you recommend me to use ?

The one that works best. Nowadays smbmount is being maintained.

I believe there are/were some problems getting smbwrapper working on more
recent Linux (glibc 2.2 trouble).

smbmount/smbfs works for most simple things, including some that are
listed as not working for smbwrapper (executing files, using mmap, shell
redirection). But there are a bunch of known problems too.

> I'm using a linux wks (RedHat 7.2) with samba 2.2.4, and I use winbind
> to authenticate from a win2k domain controler: it does work (this is
> so great !!) but I also would like to mount a windows share (not my
> windows home directory because I haven't got any) when I log in.
>
> Any idea of how to do this ?

pam_mount ?

Or put a smbmount call in your startup scripts (/etc/rc.local), using the
credentials option or something.

You probably already have smbmount/smbfs on your RH7.2 system. So why not
try it and see if it works for what you want?

And don't trust everything you read ...

/Urban