[Samba] Re: Clean install of RedHat 7.3, including samba - unable to connect to port 139

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at Brown.edu
Mon Jun 10 10:20:03 GMT 2002

Part of the problem was resolved by

service ipchains stop

I can connect on port 139 now, but I need an account and
passwd.

smbclient -L host-having-problems -U user1%passwd
works

smbclient -L host-having-problems
added interface ...
added interface ..
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[CHEMISTRY] OS=[UNIX} Server=[Samba 2.2.3a]
tree connect failed; NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Clients can access printer on the server, but they can't see
the server in the network neighborhood.  Some versions
of windows can find the server using the "Find Computer"
command some cannot.  Even when the client cannot
find the computer, I can create a printer for the client
which uses the print queue on the server by specifically
adding the path

	\\server\printer

I feel I still have a security problem.

socklist shows

	tcp 139 being used numerous times by smbd
	tcp 137 being used numerous times by nmbd
	udp various port numbers are being used by smbd and nmbd