[Samba] Re: "password server" not working: 2.2.4

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Sun Jun 9 22:26:02 GMT 2002

Hmmm.  I've determined long ago that the single best way to track down
your error is to post your problem publicly.  Clearly, my smbpasswd
command line in my original post (re-created below in its glory) is
incorrect.  *sigh*  However, I -am- still convinced I'm having some sort
of issue that's related to authentication of some sort.  For example:

[From W2K machine that's a member of the domain:]

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc
\\freedom\shared\it\rfc :F
                        :F
                        Everyone:R
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc /g fred:f
Are you sure (Y/N)?y
processed dir: \\freedom\shared\it\rfc

C:\>cacls \\freedom\shared\it\rfc
\\freedom\shared\it\rfc :F
                        :F
                        Everyone:R
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        :(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                        Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

And here is the corresponding output from log.scanner1 off of freedom:
[2002/06/10 01:15:00, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(775)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-3724628487-1952136730-75335
2548-2036 to uid or gid.
[2002/06/10 01:15:22, 0] smbd/posix_acls.c:create_canon_ace_lists(775)
  create_canon_ace_lists: unable to map SID
S-1-5-21-3724628487-1952136730-75335
2548-2036 to uid or gid.

There is also a slew of

[2002/06/09 23:58:47, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwnam(1367)
  unable to open passdb database.

though these don't appear to crop up at the same time that the cacls
command is issued.

Sorry for the goof-up; that's what I get for trying to figure things out
after 1:00 a.m. after a long weekend...

-Ken