[Samba] Win98 not doing name resolution.

Tim Bates batestim at iprimus.com.au
Sun Jun 9 18:46:02 GMT 2002

I recently reinstalled Linux on my fileserver (RedHat 7.2), which was
running Samba (v 2.2.1a). Now, trying to reconfigure Samba back to its
original state (silly me didn't keep a copy of the conf file) I've run into
a problem. My win98 machines can't find the Samba server by name, but they
can by number. By this I mean:

On a Linux desktop,

smbclient -L //marvin/

works as expected. No problems there. However on a win98 desktop,

ping marvin
nbtstat -A 10.0.0.1
net view \\10.0.0.1

all work as expected, but

nbtstat -a marvin
net view
Network Neighborhood

fail or don't display the server, and

net view \\marvin

and typing \\marvin into Explorer don't work at first, but once I do a

net view \\10.0.0.1

they do. This all seems very odd to me, my guess is that it has something
to do with NetBIOS name resolution, but I'm not sure and I wouldn't know
how to correct it anyway. Can someone give me a pointer as to what might be
the problem?

                         Thanks,
                                 Tim Bates