[Samba] oplock break on excel files using samba 2.2.4

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Sat Jun 8 00:03:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 16:48:01 -0700, jra at samba.org (Jeremy Allison) wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 03:02:05PM +0200, Sylvain BARTHELEMY wrote:
>> I search for a solution about the "oplock break" problem that occurs
>> sometimes on my RH7.0 / Samba 2.2.4 machine when accessing Excel files on a

>It looks like this may have been a Samba problem interacting
>with the Linux 2.4.x kernel shipped in RedHat 7.x. We have
>fixed this for Samba 2.2.5, and Jerry is about to issue a

It seems to me you are referring to the recent changes you made for kernel
oplocks:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2002-June/037264.html

However, note that Red Hat 7.0 (the poster uses that) is not kernel 2.4.x,
it's 2.2.16/19. So the problem the poster was referring to was not related
to kernel oplocks, but to the famous "oplock_break" that spans kernel and
samba versions.