[Samba] Using Samba for DOS type file sharing

David Busby Busby at pnts.com
Fri Jun 7 22:07:02 GMT 2002

Dear List,

(History)
	My company has an old DOS based application that we run from our
Windows NT4/Windows2K workstatsions.  This DOS app is based on DB3/DB4 (yea
the old (1987?) one with one file per table and separate files for FKs and
the like )  Anyhow...we had it on an NT server that we would map a drive to
and then launch...peachy.  No we have more users of that application < 15
and our NT server couldn't open enough file handles or something and
performance lagged.  As is the case with DOS based apps (running on Win32)
when they break they hang and sometimes we have to restart (my users get me
to authorise every restart too (help!)).

(Current)
	Samba was setup on a RHat7.2 computer and was configured to create
on SMB type share (\\initium\doscrap).  I've since mapped the necessary
drive to that share and things are looking good.  Now I want even better
performance!  I've looked thorugh the O'Reilly book and read some documents
on-line (and past mail lists) but haven't found my answer.

(Questions)
Can I make Samba cache the information in that share?
Can I increase the SMB session timeout so that if a user connects Samba
won't disconnect them after a 15 minute inactivity window?
Perhaps I could tune packets size?
Something else that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

/B