[Samba] Samba questions on AIX server, with win2k clients

Jaime Cifuentes cifuente at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 7 15:44:02 GMT 2002

                                         Jaime A Cifuentes
                                         IBM GS - SSD AIX/UNIX Sys Supp
                                         Dept ES9D/Bldg 026/700-O
                                         Phone (408) 256-6956 T/L 276
                                         Pager  (408) 973-5559
                                         Internet Address:
cifuente at us.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Jaime Cifuentes/San Jose/IBM on 06/07/2002 03:32 PM
-----

                      Jaime Cifuentes
                                               To:       samba at samba.org
                      06/05/2002 11:37         cc:
                      AM                       From:     Jaime Cifuentes/San Jose/IBM at IBMUS
                                               Subject:  Samba questions - updated

      I have downloaded and compiled Samba 2.2.4.  The Samba server is used
to access DFS space, so it was configured with DCE authentication.  It
seems to work on for the most part.  However we have seen the following
behavior:

   When opening a directory with a large number of files, it spawns
   additional smbd processes for the mapped share, which utilize a good
   percentage of the CPU.  My windows workstation hangs for a while, and I
   get multiple Windows Msgs that read: "An error occurred while
   reconnecting Z to <share> - Microsoft Windows Network: the local device
   name is already in use - This connection has not been restored".
   The smbd processes remain at the top of the execution queue (I use
   "monitor" to view system execution queue in AIX).
   I used Windows Explorer to map the share and to display directory
   contents.  This crashed when I closed the Window Msg.

      My environment is as follows:

AIX 4.3.3 at ML_09 for the Samba server, with DCE/DFS 3.1.
Windows 2000 as the samba client.

      I tried both, disk and memory cache for the DFS client, but behaviour
did not change.  Also, this seems to happen only on Windows 2K.

      Are there any configuration parameters I could use to prevent the
spawning of multiple smbd processes, and be able to see the large
directory? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                         Jaime A Cifuentes