[Samba] Win98 client passwords w/Samba 2.2.3a

Brian McGraw bmcgraw at philorch.org
Fri Jun 7 13:10:03 GMT 2002

Hello folks,
            I am running Samba 2.2.3a, on a RedHat 7.2 server. So far everything seems to be working fine. I can access shares, print from Windows clients, but I cannot change the password from the Win98 client. When I try, Windows tells me that the old password is incorrect. Here's my smb.conf file

# Global parameters
[global]
        ;basic server settings
        workgroup = OPERA
        netbios name = WOTAN
        server string = file server
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

        ;Creates a UNIX trust account as needed when the client first joins the domain
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false -M %u

        ;PDC and master browser settings
        os level = 64
        preferred master =yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes

        ;security and logging settings
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        max log size = 50

        ;sync UNIX passwords with Samba passwords.
        ;this lets users change their passwords through MS intereface
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        ;PASSWD CHAT line must all be on one line
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Enter*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd: *all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        passwd chat debug = yes
        log level = 100

        ;login script requirements
        time server = yes
        logon script = netlogon.bat

        ;print server stuff
        min print space = 2000
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s

Anyone have any guesses why the password change wouldn't work?
Thanks,
Brian