[Samba] WINS Retention

amoote at ivhs.com amoote at ivhs.com
Fri Jun 7 07:16:03 GMT 2002

I have the same problem, and have tried this method of cleaning up
wins.dat.  Unfortunately, it wasn't very effective.  Alot of the
machines/groups don't even appear in the list.  :(

Regards,

Alan B. Moote
Systems Administrator
MARK IV Industries
tel: 905.624.7908
fax: 905.625.6197

<#!bash>
Win95: A 32-bit patch for a 16-bit GUI shell running on top of an
8-bit operating system written for a 4-bit processor by a
2-bit company who cannot stand 1 bit of competition.

                      Nathan Ehresman
                      <nehresma at css.tay        To:       Mike Black <mblack at csihq.com>
                      loru.edu>                cc:       samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [Samba] WINS Retention
                      samba-admin at lists
                      .samba.org

                      06/07/02 08:41 AM

I haven't tried this, but maybe you could delete those machines from
wins.dat?  Make sure you shut down nmbd before you modify it though.

Nathan Ehresman

Mike Black wrote:
> How does one get rid of machines from the WINS database?
>
> They seem to hang around forever....and a restart doesn't solve it
because the WINS data just gets passed around...