[Samba] FreeBSD 4.5, Samba 2.2.4_1, W2K client "printer prope rties cannot be displayed"

Klopf, Tom Tom.Klopf at mms.gov
Thu Jun 6 10:47:25 GMT 2002

 (Embedded
 image moved   "Klopf, Tom" <Tom.Klopf at mms.gov>
 to file:      06/06/2002 01:44 PM
 pic16966.pcx)

I've experienced something like this, as well. Though I don't know if this
will help, I would make sure that your NT username(s) are appropriately
mapped to unix users.  You may not be able to view the properties because
the permissions/mapped user are mixed up. You can check this by doing a
smbstatus - the user names listed as connected are the unix usernames that
have been mapped to.

NT error messages are usually red herrings or too vague when trying to
figure things out.  (Hence one of a gazillion reasons I'm a unix
administrator and not an NT one :) ).

Additionally, I would do frequent backups of your samba directory (once
things are working), so you can revert to that in a worst case scenario.
This is especially important when you have a drivers database (tdb file)
that cannot be "hacked" back together.

-t

 image moved   Kevin Long <KLong at southlandInd.com>
 to file:      06/06/2002 01:15 PM
 pic25467.pcx)

 (Embedded
 image moved   Kevin Long <KLong at southlandInd.com>
 to file:      06/06/2002 01:15 PM
 pic15176.pcx)

 (Embedded
 image moved   Kevin Long <KLong at southlandInd.com>
 to file:      06/06/2002 01:15 PM
 pic21246.pcx)

Hello, I have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box running the SAMBA 2.2.4_1 port. I
have successfully added a printer driver to the unit, and when connecting
from a Windows 2000 client, I get the driver successfully installed. I then
converted the system to a PDC and added a test machine to it's domain. I can
connect to the printer, it downloads drivers, but when I choose printer
properties, I get:

"Printer properties cannot be displayed. Operation could not be completed"

Oddly enough, when this SAMBA unit was a domain member, in a hybrid W2K/NT
domain, I could get the printer properties.

I can get the "server properties" correctly, and access shares, save
profiles.

Kevin Long.