[Samba] Effective UID is not 0 in: unable to open passdb database...

Aleix Conchillo aleix.conchillo at scytl.com
Thu Jun 6 01:29:02 GMT 2002

I get next error while trying to join a Samba PDC:

[2001/12/03 23:51:03, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:startsmbfilepwent(170)
startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd. Error was Permission denied
[2001/12/03 23:51:03, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)
unable to open passdb database.

I've been  trying to locate  the error in  samba source code  (2.2.4). I
found that  the effective UID in that  moment is not root  (UID is), and
that's why  it has no permissions  to read the smbpasswd  file. It seems
that it should change the euid after reading that file, but not before.

i was not able to find where is changing the euid, but i'm sure that
someone will know how to solve that problem.

regards,

aleix