[Samba] Dangers of oplock break wait time

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jun 5 11:42:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:06:45PM +0200, Peter Schuller wrote:
> > What version of Samba. What clients ? What are the symptoms ?
>
> Various versions, including the latest stable release as of this moment.
> Win2k on the clients. Symptoms are long delays when opening Word/Excel
> documents; along with (sometimes) error messages about file permissions
> after the delay is over.

I presume that is 2.2.4 ? Or are you testing the SAMBA_2_2 CVS ?
If not, I'd recommend doing that as we're preparing for a 2.2.5
release soon and extra feedback would be good.

> As far as I can tell I'm experiencing a known issue (I've seen people
> talk about this in various mailinglist archives). I'm just wondering
> what dangerous side effects changing the oplock break wait time
> parameter might have - it's supposedly a possible fix. But the man page
> makes it sound pretty dangerous to fiddle with that particular option,
> so I am hesitant to try it.

No, not really a known issue with the Samba code as such. Many
people experience this problem when they're having networking
problems. Samba reports these problems in the log files, WinNT
and above just silently ignore them (the network goes a bit
slower when it happens) so people report it more to us.

I've often been tempted to just supress the error messages
so people don't report it :-) :-). That's the Microsoft solution
here :-).

Jeremy.