[Samba] How are people managing startup/shutdown of winbindd?

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Jun 5 05:34:31 GMT 2002

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Buchan Milne wrote:

> This assumes that people must use samba if they want to use winbind?
> There are applications of winbind (for example, I am putting in a
> linux/winbind mail server to replace Mercury mail running on the win2k
> dc, but have no need for sharing files) where smbd is not needed.

I know, but in the 2.2.4 RedHat packagaing, I wasn't even starting
it at all.

> For an alternative implementation, see packaging/Mandrake/winbind.init
> (in 2.2.2, 2.2.3a or 2.2.4, seems it's disappeared from cvs).

This sounds like a good idea.  Still one package but two init scripts.
I'll make the change today.  Not sure what happened to winbind.init.
Will check the CVS logs....

> This starts up and shuts down nmbd with winbindd if smbd is not running.
>
> (Jerry, it seems this file is in the Attic in current samba_2_2 cvs, any
> good reason? I haven't gotten around to testing packaging of samba cvs
> for Mandrake yet ...):

I'm not touching the Mandrake pacchagng files in out cvs.
I don't feel that I could confidently maintain all
linux packagaing.  And since I've got people like you.... :-)