[Samba] Dangers of oplock break wait time

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Jun 4 12:11:02 GMT 2002

> What version of Samba. What clients ? What are the symptoms ?

Various versions, including the latest stable release as of this moment.
Win2k on the clients. Symptoms are long delays when opening Word/Excel
documents; along with (sometimes) error messages about file permissions
after the delay is over.

> Please give some details before we can help.

As far as I can tell I'm experiencing a known issue (I've seen people
talk about this in various mailinglist archives). I'm just wondering
what dangerous side effects changing the oplock break wait time
parameter might have - it's supposedly a possible fix. But the man page
makes it sound pretty dangerous to fiddle with that particular option,
so I am hesitant to try it.

Thanks,

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org