[Samba] problem with libsmbclient making new netbios names

Ryan Grimm reaper at iastate.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:23:02 GMT 2002

Hello,
  I am having a bit of a problem.
I am using the samba libraries (libsmbclient.so) to search through the
network and index shares on different computers.  I am doing this with a
perl script.
The problem that I am having is that every time the libraries connect to
a server it re announces itself with a new netbios name.  The format of
the name goes like this: smbcnsearchxxxx
nsearch is the name of the machine and xxxx is replaced by a number that
gets incremented every time I connect to a host.  So what happens is that
the WINS server ends up with thousands of entries in its database.  The
system admins here at iowa state are getting mad at me because I am taking
up over 21% of the name on the server.
I have a smb.conf file located at: /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf and also
one in my ~/.smb/smb.conf file.  Both of them have my netbios name as
NSEARCH.

I did a truss on my perl script and the samba libraries are opening up
the conf file from my home directory.

Here is a copy of the smb.conf file
Any help I can get on this one would be great.

Thanks,
Ryan Grimm

Iowa State University

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = IASTATE
        netbios name = NSEARCH
        server string = SMB stats, please allow
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *ew*password:* %n\n *e-enter*new*password:* %n\n
        max log size = 50
        os level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = No