[Samba] subnet browsing crappy solution!

Harmer, Michael Michael.Harmer at mvg.com
Tue Jun 4 05:28:03 GMT 2002

Yup, that would have made his life easier.
Also, Try reading the Microsoft TCP/IP White paper and rereading the Samba
papers. Netbios broadcasts are discussed along with solutions. One of the
oldest solutions is to use a 'relay' agent. NT has been able to do that for
a long time, and I believe SAMBA can too. (Though I am not an authority on
that and could be wrong.)

Netbios broadcasts are how computers advertise their location to the network
in one of the possible setups. It is what most basic networks are set up to
do.(WINS corrects this, but you have to set each machine up to talk to a
WINS server) Unfortunately broadcasts are not usually sent across a router.
Which is why you had problems. Had you set up a local to the subnet server
that had Netbois relay turned on that was a member of a domain(possibly
workgroup, but not sure), you would have had no problems either. There a
other solutions as well.

Michael Harmer
Miller-Valentine Group