WAS: [Samba] Newbie: can't connect localhost:901 - help

mitchbnj_removethis at excite.com faslink at excite.com
Mon Jun 3 17:33:02 GMT 2002

 Don't feel stupid.  I'd guess you're using 2.4 kernel and not the 2.2 kernel?
In 2.2 services default to using inet.d
In 2.4 services default to using xinetd to start stuff.
You need to go to /etc/xinet.d  and make sure the file swat
has a "disable=no"  in it.

As a matter of fact, for security purposes, I'd do a vi * in that directory (/etc/xinet.d ) and make sure everything is disabled except stuff that YOU want started!

Mitch.

(who figured this out himself the hard way when upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4)