[Samba] smbclient timeout

Patterson, Eric (Contractor-Quality Research) Eric.Patterson at rdec.redstone.army.mil
Mon Jun 3 12:26:02 GMT 2002

Hi fellow samba users,

I'm having a problem with smbclient on Red Hat 7.2 transferring files from a
Win2k box.  I am able to connect to the Win2k, login, list, traverse
directories, and even copy several files.  However, shortly after I start to
transfer lots of files, smbclient just hangs.  It will sit there forever
doing absolutely nothing.  Both the Red Hat box and the Win2k box are still
useable.  In fact, I can even start a second smbclient connection from the
Red Hat machine.  The original smbclient, however, is running, but doing
absolutely nothing.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is backup some shares on the Win2k box
using Amanda. However, I can't get smbtar, smbclient -T, or smbclient +
recurse + mget * to work.  I'm able to smbclient to other machines (Win2k
and NT4) with no problem.  Also, I'm able to use Windows clients to transfer
data to/from the troubling Win2k machine.  Any ideas?

I'm using Red Hat 7.2 and samba 2.2.4.  If it's worth anything, the NIC on
the troubling Win2k box is a SMC EZ Card 10/100 1211TX.

Thanks for any help.

Eric Patterson