[Samba] About password length in solaris 8 and samba 2.2.4

Åke Holmlund holm at informatik.umu.se
Mon Jun 3 10:02:11 GMT 2002

> > Aha, explains why passwords set with smbpasswd gets truncated. getpass()
> > returns, at most, PASS_MAX bytes (8). getpassphrase(), on the other
> > hand, returns up to 256 characters.
>
> Hmm....on my solaris boxes (both with Sun's workshop C compiler
> and GCC), REPLACE_GETPASS is being defined, so there is not a problem.
> Can you check in include/config.h and see if this is defined?
> If not, I need to figure out why not....

No, it's not. Checked include/config.h and also ran configure:

checking whether getpass should be replaced... no

> What Solaris release is this?  and what compiler?
> Also include any ./configure options you have set.

Solaris 8, Sun Workshop 6, update 1. My "configuration":

env CC=cc \
    CPPFLAGS="-DHACK" \
    CFLAGS="-xO3" \
../configure \
--prefix=/opt/Samba \
--sysconfdir=/var/conf/Samba \
--localstatedir=/var/conf/Samba \
--with-privatedir=/var/conf/Samba/private \
--with-lockdir=/var/conf/Samba/locks \
--with-configdir=/var/conf/Samba \
--with-logfilebase=/var/log \
--with-ldapsam \
--with-quotas \
--without-winbind

The -DHACK thing is some LDAP modifications primarily to be able to use
Solaris LDAP libraries.

Åke Holmlund					Tel:  +46 - 90 786 57 16
Umeå University					Fax:  +46 - 90 786 65 50
Dept of informatics				Email: holm at informatik.umu.se
SE-901 87 Umeå
Sweden