[Samba] Powerpoint and modification time

Markus Kummer markus_kummer at gmx.net
Mon Jun 3 03:11:03 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so please be patient with me.
Samba 2.0.7 is running on a compaq alpha server es40 with
tru64 4.D.

We got a problem with powerpoint files on a samba share.
As soon as I open a powerpoint file on a samba share the
modification time of the file changes, even if I'm not
changing anything whithin the file. This only happens if
I open *.ppt files which where created by others.
We got the same problem with excel files, but this stopped
after setting the option
dos filetimes = yes
in the smb.conf.
The modification time still changes with opening an excel file
but as soon as I'm not changing anything the modification time
is set back after closing the file. (normal procedure,I suppose !?)

An upgrade to version 2.2.3a did not help either.
Here is our smb.conf:
[global]
server string = Fileserver
workgroup = WORK
interfaces = 192.168.100.1/255.255.192.0
netbios name = SAMBSERVER
encrypt passwords = yes
character set = ISO8859-1
username map = /appl/local/samba/samba-2.0.7/lib/users.map
logfile = /var/log/samba-log.%m
log level = 10
debug level = 2
max log size = 50
passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *
announce as = NT Workstation
name resolve order = host bcast
lm announce = False
local master = No
browse list = No
printing=bsd
printcap = /etc/printcap
dos filetimes = yes
dos filetimeresolution = yes
[homes]
        comment = Users
        path = /user/%S
        valid users = horst,dirk,markus
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        writable = yes
        browsable = no
        create mask = 0700
        force create mode = 0700
        security mask = 0700
        force security mode = 00
        directory mask = 0700
        force directory mode = 0700
        directory security mask = 0700
        force directory security mode = 00

If I forgot giving you any other important information please
let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Markus Kummer

http://www.gmx.net