[Samba] winbind storing PID-1 in winbind.pid file. Cannot use wbinfo.

Mike Lee mlee at in-tch.com
Sun Jun 2 20:41:02 GMT 2002

Hello everyone:

	I am having problems with winbind.  I have followed all of the directions,
configuring, compiling, and running samba and winbind.  However, when I do
the winbind test using "wbinfo -u" or "wbinfo -g" I just get the standard
"Error talking to domain controller...".  BTW, smb.conf is configured
properly and was successfully added to my WIN domain.  I am also sharing
files successfully.
	I did some frustrating troubleshooting and noticed that the PID stored in the
winbind.pid file is always one less than the actual PID for winbind.  I have
restarted winbind many times to verify.
	Is anyone else having this problem?  I have compiled samba 2.2.4 on an Intel
with RedHat 7.3.  The PIDs for all others (nmbd and smbd) are being stored
correctly.
	I have compiled samba 2.2.4 previously on my laptop with RH 7.2 and all works
fine when running wbinfo.  I suspect this is due to RH 7.3, but cannot
confirm.
	Any help/info would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Mike