[Samba] Desktop.ini and samba - Please comment

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Wed Jul 31 16:09:02 GMT 2002

--On Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:36 PM -0500 Javid Abdul-AJAVID1
<AJAVID1 at motorola.com> wrote:

> thanks for your replies, really appreciate it
>
> i was looking at way to pinpoint the problem that w2k cleint is having
> regarding all files and folder not visible when mapped to unix home drive
>
> can you guys give some thoughts about it as well :-))))

Can you post your smb.conf, so we can see how you've configured the shares?
(though please remove any comments, to save bandwidth).

Are you trying to access them on the Unix side, and being confused when
changes don't show on the Windows side?  I think the solution there is to
have your Unix side people access the file system through Samba - do an
smbmount (or is it just mount with special options?  I don't use it this
way, and so can never remember).  I have experienced problems with just
that - working with files on the Linux server directly, and not having
changes show through to the windows clients. Sometimes it just took time,
others I had to restart Samba itself.

Or is it that these are pre-existing files and folders, and they are
showing some and not showing others?  You could cut 'n paste directory
listings, so we can see the permissions settings on the actual files &
folders themselves.

- john