[Samba] nsswitch/libnss_wins.so

Yang, James H (Jhyang), SOLIT jhyang at att.com
Wed Jul 31 13:54:02 GMT 2002

I tried the recommended steps, see below, to enable my Linux system to
resolve WINS names.  But, there is NO nsswitch/libnss_wins.so file
found/created.  I only found nsswitch/libnss_winbind.so.

Please help.   Thanks.

James

This extension provides a "wins" module for NSS on glibc2/Linux.  This
allows you to use a WINS entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf for hostname
resolution, allowing you to resolve netbios names via start unix
gethostbyname() calls. The end result is that you can use netbios
names as host names in unix apps.

1) run configure
2) run "make nsswitch"
3) cp nsswitch/libnss_wins.so /lib/libnss_wins.so.2
4) add a wins entry to the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf
5) use it

tridge at linuxcare.com