[Samba] XFS / ACL / CUPS Issues

Sorisio,Chris ChrisSorisio at PeakTechnical.com
Wed Jul 31 13:01:01 GMT 2002

Hola folks,

I've been attempting to put together a test server to see how well Samba
2.2.5 plays with NT domains.  I'm running Gentoo Linux 1.2 on a Compaq
ProLiant 3000, and my test fileshare is on an XFS partition.

The server has successfully joined our test domain and is able to list
accounts/groups properly via getent.  I am also able to log on to the server
using an NT account.

Problem #1:  NT ACL permission changes do not stick to files.  I can create
a file within the test share, and it shows as owned by the proper NT
account/group.  However, if I try to modify those settings via Windows NT
Explorer, the changes do not stick.  It will allow me to 'go through the
motions', but the next time I check the file permissions, they have reverted
back to their original settings.

Problem #2:  I'm having a heck of a time getting Windows NT clients to print
to Samba/CUPS-shared printers.  I have the printer installed on the Windows
NT client along with the proper drivers, but any print jobs or test pages
sent to that printer vanish.  Nothing in the logs, nothing in the spools,
etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.  I'll greatly appreciate
any help offered.

Chris