[Samba] German Umlaut Problem

Markus Thüs m.thues at rosomm-partner.de
Wed Jul 31 05:18:13 GMT 2002

Hello,

we`ve got a Problem with the German Umlaut thing, the Problem looks like
this:
We created Data and saved it on a Linux Server via a Samba Version earlier
then 2.2.1. And after that we backuped all our Data, but now after the
Backup the new Samba Server, running on our Backup-Server, isn`t abled to
read out the Data, he doesn`t even show the Directory...

Like, if we`ve created a directory, like "Präsentation" and we save it via
2.2.1 (or earlier), the Linux Console shows "Pr?sentation", and with Samba
2.2.5 on the new Server it isn`t possible to read out the Data, and the best
is, that Samba 2.2.1 on the other Server also isn`t abled to read out the
Data...

So what do you think is the best solution to Fix the Problem (Hint: We`ve
got 250 GB Data for one Backup)...

Best regards,

Markus Thues