[Samba] Re: Joining a domain spanned across different subnets

Jesse Becker jbecker at fryed.net
Tue Jul 30 16:18:02 GMT 2002

I was able to join computers in different subnets to the same domain
without a 'local' samba server.  However, the clients do have a WINS
server handed to them by DHCP.

One thing to try is allowing your router to pass broadcasts between the
two subnets, and then sending remove announcements to the other subnet's
broadcast IP.  I couldn't try this since I don't have access to the router
in question in my case, but it migth be worth a shot.

One issue that *did* require setting up a local samba server was allowing
the 'local' clients to browse workgroups.  This required configuring a new
local master browser, and telling it to sync browse lists with a remote
samba box.

--Jesse