[Samba] Changing ACLs as administrator

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Tue Jul 30 13:22:02 GMT 2002

> I tried that and when I am the owner of a directory, I can NOT set the
> ownership to some other user if I want to.

I think you're running into a collision between what Linux can do, and what
NT can do.

Under Linux, only root can change the ownership of a file, but can change it
to any user.

Under Windows, anyone can change ownership of a file (if they have Take
Ownership rights) BUT they can only change it to themselves.

For that reason, I can't see any way to make this work the way you want it
to.  I've always just ssh'd in and used chown.