[Samba] Several questions with w2k printing to samba

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Jul 30 07:53:01 GMT 2002

Samba 2.2.5-1 installed via RPM on a RH7.2 system, authentication is
against an NT PDC (security = domain) using winbindd.  Mostly w2k
clients connecting to samba for print serving.

(A) Is the smbpasswd needed if my samba authentication uses winbindd
against a PDC?

(B) Every 15 minutes or so I get this in log.nmbd:

[2002/07/30 06:32:04, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(358)
  find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
  Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name MY_DOM<1b> for the
workgroup MY_DOM.
  Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.

Is that because my interface does not support broadcast?  Any idea how
to remedy these errors?

(C) In my log.winbindd I get:
[2002/07/30 07:47:06, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_getpwnam(120)
  user 'ftp' does not exist

(It used to be 'nobody' though I did have a 'nobody' account.  I put
"guest account=ftp" to see if that worked any better, and it didn't.)
Any ideas?  I had also tried a nobody = MY_DOM+guest in smbusers, but
that did not help.  Testparm shows map to guest = Never, guest ok = no,
and guest only = no.  I haven't set any public=yes.  I don't know why,
with security = domain and my other share settings it would ever be
needing a guest account anyway.

(D) In my [printers] share I have:
printer admin = "MY_DOM+user1, MY_DOM+user2"
queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p

trying to "Pause Printing" from a w2k client doesn't appear to do anything.
I also tried adding
queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
printer admin = "MY_DOM+user1, MY_DOM+user2"
to the global section, no luck.

lpc status (print queue name) shows printing and spooling remain enabled.

Thanks for your expertise,
~ Daniel

My smb.conf... a work in progress:

[global]
  # default of 10 wasn't enough for Printers folder to show up on first
connect
  lpq cache time = 30
  printing = LPRNG
  queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
  queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
  printer admin = "MY_DOM+user1, MY_DOM+user2"
  netbios name = myhost
  winbind uid = 10000-20000
  winbind gid = 10000-20000
  winbind separator = +
  workgroup=MY_DOM
  server string = Samba Server on myhost
  log level = 1
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = yes
  guest account=ftp
  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
  security = domain
  password server = pdc1host pdc2host pdc3host
  encrypt passwords = yes
  interfaces = (my ip)/24
  domain master = no
  wins support = no
  wins server = (ip address of wins server)
  dns proxy = no

[print$]
  path = /usr/local/samba/printers
  browseable = yes
  read only = yes
  write list = "MY_DOM+user1, MY_DOM+user2"

[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
  printable = yes
  queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc stop %p
  queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc start %p
  printer admin = "MY_DOM+user1, MY_DOM+user2"

and...
# testparm
Processing section "[print$]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.

Thank you.