[Samba] Samba on PDS, using PAM authentification

Martín Marqués martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Tue Jul 30 03:48:02 GMT 2002

I have a small (6 PC, maybe 8 more if I get VPN working) local net with 4
dual-boot Win/Linux workstations and a big server that has samba (RH 7.2).

What I wanted to do is build a PDS on the Samba server so the Win98 PC would
authenticate there. I also want to maintain synced the unix passwords with
the Windows passwords, so I thought about having samba authenticate against
PAM (which is the default on RedHat, AFAIK).

Now, reading the HowTo, I find that when PDS comes up encrypted passwords are
needed, and PAM can not be used.

Is this right? Can somebody guide me to some other docs on this behave?

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques at unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador, DBA |       Centro de Telematica
                       Universidad Nacional
                            del Litoral