[Samba] duplex settings [ was Re: parsing fix for spoolss & samba-2.2.5]

Glenn E. Sieb ges at lumeta.com
Mon Jul 29 20:42:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:13:08PM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> OK.  I've made some progress on this one.  Just out of curiousity,
> does the problem occur with NT4 clients?  Or just 2k clients?

This also happens on XP, FYI...

> It appears to linked to an abscense of PrinterDriverData cached
> on the client.  What is strange is that the correct PrinterDriverData
> exists for the printer on the server, but the client does not
> cache all of it.
>
> Hopefully, I'll have more information in a couple of days.

It would be wonderful if we could get all this working... However, I'm not totally convinced it's a pure Samba issue, Jerry...

I have win2000 servers here, and, even using them, if we use *OLD* PCL5 drivers, things work ok--but if we use newer ones or PCL6 ones... the ones that let you "save" settings? Forget it... and no one appears to have "permission" to change the settings ever... you get what shows on the properties page--AS it's on the properties page--you can't make any changes like paper trays or anything. It's highly annoying. Of course, calling HP and talking about this to tech support results in "Oh that's a Windows issue, not ours." "Well then why do you call these drivers "Point and print" for Windows if they don't freakin work?" "Well it's a Windows issue, sir, not ours." *grrr*

anyway--I know you've heard me vent on this before, Jerry--I'm totally convinced this is an HP issue and not a Samba one.

Anywho.. I'm up way to late. G'night :)

And, as always--thanks to everyone on the Samba team--this really is a lifesaving program, everyone--makes life much easier on us! :)

Glenn